Azavea is a civic technology firm based in Philadelphia that uses geospatial data to build software and data analytics for the web. As a B Corporation
, our mission is to use advanced geospatial technology for civic, social, and environmental impact. Most of our work deals with local governments, non-profit organizations, and academic or federal research projects. We build custom web applications, perform geospatial analysis, and manage SaaS products in several civic domains.
We are looking for a Database Specialist to contribute to the Cicero product. Cicero
is a global database of elected officials and legislative districts that is made available as an API, as a batch processing system, and as a licensed database. Cicero enables non-profits and other civic organizations to advocate more effectively by connecting constituents with their elected officials at the national, state, and local levels for over 350 cities and counties in nine countries. Ideal candidates have experience working with large data sets, are passionate about learning, and are willing to support a growing a SaaS product.
We’re excited about what we do, we’re growing, and we hope you will join us.
Skills & Requirements
Your core responsibility will be researching, entering, and ensuring the quality of our data. However, this position will also allow for the opportunity to advance the product through content marketing efforts and brainstorm and develop new ways for our customers to have improved access to our data.
What You’ll do:
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the Cicero database and its architecture
- Research and enter election results, and update contact information for legislators in 9 countries
- Work with the rest of the Cicero team to ensure timely and accurate updates to our data
- Perform regular data-driven quality checks on the database to identify gaps and inconsistencies in the data
- Write technical and non-technical blog articles and marketing content around Cicero data, including topics like: grassroots advocacy, legislator demographics and trends, redistricting, gerrymandering, and elections
- Display a meticulous attention to detail
- Have experience working with and ensuring the quality of large datasets
- Know SQL and be able to use it to query and pull data from a relational database
- Possess excellent writing skills
- Be interested in technology, elections, and democracy
- Have a strong desire to learn, and the drive to improve a growing product
You get extra points for:
- Knowledge of REST APIs
- Experience with GIS analysis, including digitizing, geocoding, spatial analysis, or cartography
- Familiarity with using Python or R for data analysis
- Formal marketing or business development experience, especially in relation to a SaaS product
Office and Benefits
Our Philadelphia headquarters is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market, and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, a shower and lockers. The office itself is assembled as an open office plan with several smaller rooms for team meetings and concentration time. You get your own desk with a high-end Linux workstation or Apple laptop and extra monitors. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 – 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, our staff can also spend up to 10% of their time on an open source, professional development, or research project. Recent 10% time projects include experiments with functional programming, machine learning, mapping with vector tiles, t-shirt design with satellite imagery, and experiments with large geospatial data sets.
We offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience and a benefits package that includes:
- Fully subsidized health care, dental, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
- Fully subsidized life and long-term disability insurance, plus voluntary short term disability insurance
- Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
- Retirement plan with matching percentage
- Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus additional paid sick/personal time off
- Family and medical leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Child care subsidy
- Paid time off for voting and volunteering
- Education assistance plan
- Student loan assistance
- Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
- Monthly guest lectures with lunches on the house
- 10% time for research or learning projects
- Profit-sharing bonus plan
- Financial transparency through an open book policy
- Kind, capable and thoughtful colleagues
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.